Within this evaluation I'm going to explain what I feel went well and what could of gone even better with the showcase. I'll explain the process and the build up of the show.
During the 9 weeks leading up to the showcase I was very nervous. At the beginning of the tasks I was unsure about a few of the pieces of choreography but after a while I began to feel very positive. The thought of doing a showcase with lots of different pieces excited me. There were lots of ups and downs in the lead up to the show, for example getting the rock and roll piece done was so good because I've never danced that before. However, being told a week before the show to create a street solo was a major low point. Even though there were low points I tried to keep my spirit high and not let the low points out weight the highs. I found keeping the logs a very easy task as when I was on my travels home I would just get them done straight away so they were fresh in my mind and it wasn't made up. I also made sure that within the past 9 weeks I not only ran my pieces at college but in my own time aswell. I would go to the gym and spend time in the studio there to ensure I knew the pieces inside and out.
Towards the end the ninth week of preparation for the show I completely changed my attitude towards the show. I became more chilled out and relaxed, even though a few things worried me I was very calm. This definitely played in my advantage because I was able to give it my all in the dress runs and the actual show.
My main targets I set for myself at the beginning of the preparation for the show were definitely to make sure I got all of my pieces done in enough time so that I didn't freak and get flustered towards the show. I think the rehearsal schedule helped me do this because I like to have things in order and planned as it helps me stay calm. Part of this aim was to not panic and give up. I have a habit of giving up on myself as soon as I panic or have a really negative day and I can proudly say that I had a few hiccups but nothing major and I feel very positive with my results. Another aim of mine was to step outside of my comfort zone. I definitely done this with the rock and roll piece and the finale piece. I've never danced rock and roll before but I love the feel of it so that's why I wanted to do it and the finale piece we had to sing and I've never sang I from of people before let alone on stage.
If I was to compare this show day to the show day we had in December I would say this one was miles better. I feel as though within the last 9 weeks I have come a long way, not just within my dancing but personally, which showed on the show night.
The Showcase.
Before the show I wasn't nervous I kept myself very calm and collected, I tried not to think about anything other than just performing. So when it came to the time when we had to perform I was mentally prepared. I feel as though this showcase was the best I have ever performed anything in my life.
My first piece was of the show was contemporary, this piece went alright. I wouldn't say it went amazingly well but it wasn't awful. I was kicked in the face/shoulder in part of the routine as someone was in the wrong spacing which annoyed me as it made my timing slightly off for the leap. Apart from that I think it went pretty well.
The piece I was in next was the rock and roll piece. I was so happy with this piece as I was very smiley the whole way through and I danced it to the best that I could. There was one little part of the dance where I wasn't very happy but that's because Tj didn't catch me properly in the double cart wheel but it was right at the end and adrenaline carried me through that hiccup.
My next piece was my 'Crazy in Love' solo. I gave this piece my absolute all whilst performing and I could feel it because my dynamics were sharp and I felt good doing it. I went wrong at one point I didn't roll on the floor but I just improvised and carried on. I hadn't realised I'd gone wrong until I had finished that little section.
After my solo I had the ballet piece, I absolutely love this piece. I think this was the best I've ever performed this piece aswell as I attempted to give it emotion and I tried to feel like a 'ballerina'.
Straight after the ballet piece was my drama piece. This was a complete nightmare as I forgot to put my mic pack on before the ballet and it was a quick change to go straight back on for drama. I completely stressed out at the side of the stage and I broke my outfit but I pulled it together with a lot of help from Kelly and automatically changed my character as soon as I walked on stage. I forgot a few lines but I improvised and I'm so thankful the girls were able to pick up on it and just go with it. If I was to do this piece again I would make sure I had my mic pack on first as this is the main reason it went wrong. Apart from that I don't think it was an awful performance as I heard the audience laughing at parts.
Then it was the street piece. Half way through this piece something hit me and I went from just dancing the piece to actually performing it and giving it. Part way through my bandana fell off of my arm but I didn't let it phase me I just carried on dancing and ignored it. I feel like this is the best we as a group have ever performed this piece and judging from the audiences reaction it looked good aswell.
The last piece of the first half was Candy store the musical theatre piece. I have always loved this piece because I get to be someone else on stage and I've never done a dance like this before. I think it went really well and I gave it a lot of attack and I made sure I lip sang some of it aswell. I was just disappointed that I put my leg down to early on one of the holds but that's because I've never fell out of it before.
I think the first half went really really well and everyone put there nerves aside and performed amazingly.
Then in the second half I started back with my street solo. This is probably the piece i was most nervous about but I went on stage and didn't think about it I just danced. I loved it. I felt myself really enjoying the piece and I was smiling and just dancing. It made me feel so good that I didn't mess up and if I was to perform this piece again I would just feel it more. I've never felt like that whilst doing a performance before it was a strange feeling.
Next was the commercial piece and like most of my other pieces it went really well. My timing was off at one point and I think I had the wrong arm at one point but I just carried on.
Show a little faith which was the tap piece was next and I can honestly say this was my worst piece of the night. I really didn't enjoy it and I felt myself hating it but I still carried on and finished the dance. I completely forgot sections of the dance and I could feel myself without any expression on my face. If I was to do this piece again I'd definitely give myself a character to be on stage instead of being me.
Finally it was the Finale piece, all I care about is love. This piece went really well aswell. I could feel myself singing really loud and I want phased by the fact I was singing Infront of people which really shocked me. I think this piece could of gone a lot better if we had rehearsed it more and clarified tiny details.
Overall, I think that the show went amazingly well and I was so happy with myself. If I were to change anything I'd make sure that I was more confident and I just went for it even more. Also if there was a piece I didn't quite enjoy I'd give myself a different character to be on stage so I didn't feel insecure and scared. If we were to alter something then I would alter the drama piece because it was hard to try and get our storyline across. I would of put another acting piece in of the women showing their crazy sides in more depth. In addition to this, next time I will make sure that when I have an idea I just stick to it and don't change my mind, therefore I can have more time to polish things.
I feel as though the past nine weeks have been a roller coaster and I'm glad that the show went as well as it did because we were able to show off our hard work.
No comments:
Post a Comment